Sunday, August 26, 2007

Fun at Bubonicon 39

Thanks everybody who's sympathizing with my job loss. I'm feeling a bit more capable of survival now that I'm getting through the initial shock.

I was really busy at the con yesterday, and didn't even get a chance to get online at all! I've helped out in con suite, at registration, in the art show....all sorts of stuff. Plus, last night was the costume contest. Lots of good entries in the contest, including Batman, The Joker, a group from Trigun (anime)and a Svengali-type with his "Living Dead Girl". She was cute, about 9 years old, and got best kid's costume. There were actually two of us doing different interpretations of Dolores Umbridge. But when the cat-herders were telling us that it was expected to play with the judges and bribe/cajole them....well, telling me to ham it up is just unleashing forces they may wish they hadn't! LOL
So my turn comes up, and I didn't get halfway down the aisle when people started booing the character. The MC was reading what I wrote on the intro card, and had to stop a couple of times, even. So I went down the line of judges, asking each a question like Umbridge did when interviewing the Hogwarts teachers...they're laughing, I'm trying not to laugh. Got to the GoH (guest of honor) of the con, and just dismissed him with a 'you won't even be here next year...' Just had fun doing it.
Now, keep in mind, I'm used to Chicago area cons, where there's a really butt-kicking Costumer's Guild. I am nowhere near that level yet, especially without all my resources here. So imagine my surprise...I won BEST OF SHOW!!!!! Wow! I guess acting can make up for costume shortcomings. The costume wasn't that bad, really, I'm just that picky. Pics will be forthcoming when I get them.
Funny note from later that night...I had changed back into my work/party clothes, and was sitting in con suite chatting. A couple of other folks, including the aforementioned GoH who'd been judging, and I were talking about the contest. The GoH recognized me out of costume, but the others didn't! That really made my night.
I stayed up till about 2 a.m. hanging out with some new friends, and then got some sleep.
I'm very thankful that I got to attend this con. Great people, and some much needed R&R. Did some networking, enjoyed some panels and parties, and helped out where I could. I think I may see about getting more involved for next year's con.
Today's the last day, of course, a few more panels, the other auction, and the dead dog party at the end of it all. I think I'm awake enough to head for con suite and get some breakfast, so catch you later!

No comments: