Sunday, August 19, 2007

End of a wild week

Whew. What a week.
At work, I had to finish off all the rest of the school-owned horns. They are not in good shape at all, and I was really busting my hump to get them into playing condition. I think my bosses have a much better appreciation of repair work now, though. I've gone from surgical precision on flutes to sheer brute force on low brass, all in the same day!
Last weekend was the national flute show, in ABQ this year. I didn't get to go, and I'm glad I stayed behind to work on the horns. I couldn't have spared the time anyway! Then, Monday and Tuesday, I went in for the flute repair workshop we were hosting. Good info, and a nice refresher course for me. Again, the boss appreciates my work a bit more now, I think. Hated to lose my days off, though.
To make up for the extra time I've been putting in, I have this coming Saturday off! Yay! I'm going to go to ABQ for Bubonicon 39, a sci-fi convention. I'll be one of the volunteer helpers, or gofers. I met some of the other people working with the con on Friday night at the gofer meeting. Good people, and I'm glad I found some like-minded geeks to play with! I can only go down for Friday night (after work) and Saturday, since I need to work Sunday, but I'm glad to have that much! It's gonna be my birthday present to myself, I think.

Oh, yeah, birthday. Mine's Tuesday, thanks for noticing. ;-) Don't expect much to happen, since my friends are all miles away. I'm already getting notes online, though, and that's really nice. My brother did call and get my address so he could send me something, too. Good kid. Mom and Uncle Bob may send a card, too. Other than that, well, it's kinda hard to party hearty by myself. No pity party, though. I'm not falling into that trap anymore!

So, tomorrow's a laundry and house cleaning & organization day. Can't organize too much without furniture, but I can at least try to put things out of sight. Cleaning is an ongoing thing, of course. The cats make sure of that! And on the off chance that I miraculously have company, the house will be ready for them.
That's all for now! ttyl!

No comments: