Monday, June 18, 2007

Getting settled, sort of

Ok, it's been a week since I left Indiana. Time to catch my breath a little bit!
My work schedule has been modified, so I don't truly start my job till Wednesday the 20th. Not a problem. I'll be working Weds. through Sunday, but there's enough flex that I can still arrange to do social things when I find them.
Meanwhile, I've been finding my way around town, and getting used to things. Saturday I was down in Cibola National Forest at one of the campsites, hanging out with some heathen folk from the area. Nice people, very friendly and welcoming. Heck, one of the guys wants to see about getting a yurt (if I can ever get hold of Matt...)!
Found some cool places today. Natural Stones is a store full of just that...crystals and gems and rocks, oh my! There's also another coffeehouse called Counter Culture right by that. Will have to check them out when they're open later, and they also have internet. Bonus! Let's see, what else... Goodwill, of course, and their clearance store (unorganized as heck, but cheap!), I'm sitting in Santa Fe Baking Co. right now, and I found another mall today with the most awesome shop called Heart of the Lotus. More Ganesh and other Hindu figures than even Moonbow can find room for (but you know she'd try)! Wonderful stuff, and the gal who runs it used to live in Indiana! Small planet, huh? They also have an interiors store across town with...Mongolian and Tibetan Furniture!!!! Oh, boy! LOL
Anyway, I'm trying not to spend too much money, but it's nice to have ideas of where neat things are. And these are places that the tourist types won't find, which is even better.
So that's what's up. I wish I didn't have to come into town to get online, but once I get working it'll be part of the routine instead of a special reason to leave the house. But now I have to head home shortly, so I can get myself some dinner and try to get to bed at a reasonable hour. More in a day or so!
Oh, let me try this real quick and see if I can get a picture to show up in here. If it works, you should see a pic of the view from my apartment.

No comments: