Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Da Trip: Day Two

The travel is going much smoother than I had anticipated. I am already in Tucumcari, NM!!
Weather was a bit rough at the start, and I drove through some pretty heavy rain while I was still in MO. When I hit the OK line, it cleared right up! A few little squalls in TX, but mostly clear all day. Very nice, especially with construction along the way.
Anyway, I made my lunch stop in OK City, at a Waffle House. Yum. Had lunch "with" Sandy. Ok, she was on the other end of the cell phone, but it was nice to talk instead of text for a while! That was one tank of gas down the road. I figured my second tank would get me to Amarillo, TX. It did, but when I realized that it was only 6:00, and Tucumcari was only a couple of hours further, I decided to push on while the light and weather were good.
There was a wow moment about 12 miles before I hit the NM border. I came up over a ridge, and suddenly this wonderful valley was just laid out before me. The vegetation, mesas, and all just changed radically, and I thought "Now *that* looks right for NM!". Really a neat thing.
As I was getting close to Tucumcari, I started checking signs for hotels and such. I think I'm turning into a New Mexican already....I picked my exit because it had a Lotaburger restaurant. Mmmm.....breakfast burrito with green chiles..... :-D (Had catfish tonight, though. Yummy.)
The kitties are handling the trip fairly well, I think. The hotel (Best Western) is out of pet rooms, unfortunately. I did make a small sacrifice and take the smoking room downstairs instead of the upstairs non-smoking so that I can run out and check on kitties easier. I fed and watered them before taking care of my own dinner. I'm glad tomorrow's drive will be fairly short, and I can let them settle in again. They were both really lovey-dovey last night, and I will be paying them lots of extra attention for a while.
I do owe the kitties an apology, though. I smelled something nasty near Wildorado, TX, and was blaming them till I realized that I was passing a large cattle operation!
It's been kind of neat being able to see parts of old Route 66 from the interstate. Didn't find anything worth pulling over for, but saw neat buildings. Also got to see a huge wind turbine farm in TX. I knew those 3-blade windmills were big, but dang! They are really huge! I tried to snag pics with the phone, but haven't looked at them yet.
According to the maps, I should only have a 3 hour drive ahead of me tomorrow, give or take a bit. Wow. I know the cats will be happy! I will be, too. I mean, I've got my little 'cockpit area' of the truck set up pretty well, and the A/C is a blessing, but...let's just say I'll be glad for more walking around!
Time to unwind now, and get some rest. More tomorrow, I hope!

1 comment:

Sandy Marie said...

It's going to be strange getting used to time shift with you now too. Lunch is at 10 am and when I was tired and ready for bed, your evening was just starting, lol. TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR NEW PLACE!!!
{{hugs}}
Love ya
Sandy / Mom