Sunday, June 10, 2007

At last... Already.... It's time to go....

Well, folks, it's time.
Tomorrow morning I'll tuck the last few things into the truck and head off to New Mexico.
I don't mind telling y'all that I am scared shitless! I'm also excited, nervous, happy, sad, and anxious all at once. This is the biggest move and leap of faith that I've ever made.
Honestly, I could never have done this without the love and support of all my dear friends. I've been living in Indiana for 17 years....nearly all of my adult life. This area, and the people in it, have shaped who I am. It wasn't all good times, that's for damned sure. Matter of fact, some of it was hellishly bad. But I survived, and now I have a chance to do more than just survive.
It's hard to single out the people who are most important in my life right now. These last few days have really made me aware of just how much my friends value me. It's humbling. I'm not used to it, and I've always had difficulty believing that I'm worthy of praise, love, etc. (Been working on that, honestly.) Anyway, I have tried to let the most important ones know how much I value them. Then again, it's good to do that whenever possible, not just when major changes are happening!
I do know that without the love and friendship of certain people I would never have been able to make a move like this. Heck, if it weren't for one dear friend of mine I probably would still be stuck in a hell of my own making. When we met, I was in a very unhealthy relationship, and had nearly lost my self and soul. I didn't think I could do any better. There was no light at the end of the tunnel - I couldn't even see that I was in a tunnel, I was that numb and dead. That was a little over four years ago. And now, that friend has told me that he is proud of me. I can't even put into words how deeply that has touched me. I think he understands, though, and that's what really matters.
My 'family of the heart' is a unique bunch, and there are those who I am honored to call sisters and brothers. If I mentioned them all, this blog would be way too long for anyone to read! But I have to mention one who has been 'Mom' and 'Sis' to me so much that her blood family has pretty much adopted me. She was the latest catalyst for these changes, and it was her family in New Mexico that we were visiting when I found my new job. Funny, we always thought she'd move back out there first! Strange how the universe works...
Anyway, I'll be making my best effort to stop at places that have internet access so that I can post blogs on the way. I hope I will not be too tired! Traveling with two cats is going to be very interesting, I'm sure.
I have pb&j makings for lunches, and money enough for gas, tolls, food, motels, etc. I'm gonna follow old Route 66 from the interstates, and will be making stops at interesting sites I may find. I do plan to stop at my old college (Blackburn College, Carlinville, IL) and see how much it's changed. I haven't been back there in 20 years, since I graduated! I'm going to enjoy the trip as much as I can, and make it a time to relax and get my mind wrapped around all the things that are happening.
That's all for now, hopefully more tomorrow!

1 comment:

Sandy Marie said...

I have your blog bookmarked and will visit often to watch your travels. Honey, I am proud of you!!! And now I'm crying again, lol. YOU HAVE MY LOVE!
Sandy / Mom