Tuesday, July 24, 2007

First look at possible house

Went out to Cerrillos to look at the ten-acre property. I only looked from the outside, as there's still not an arrangement with the soon-to-be-former tenant to get a look inside. The land is nice, not really much level ground, but room to walk about, put up a yurt once in a while and have a bit of yard space. The view is really nice, low hills in the foreground and higher ones blending into the mountains further out. It's only about 100 yards off the paved road, but sits in a little hollow, so it's quite private. I like it, and have told the landlady so. There's one other person in front of me, so I have to wait for him to see it, but I have a damn good chance of getting this one.
After my look around, I went into the village proper. Very tiny place, mostly tourist stuff, since the town is still pretty much in historical condition. Found the trading post and had a nice chat with the proprietress. The post is full of wonderful crystals and other things, and decently priced. They also have a small museum of the mining era in that part of the world. The local turquoise is a lovely aqua-greenish shade, and still is mined today. Incidentally, the movie "Young Guns" was filmed in the town!
Off to Madrid for a bit of late lunch. (It's pronounced MADD-rid, btw.) The movie Road Dogs was filmed there, and the locals are right...the town is nothing like the movie! Nice place, lots of eclectic galleries, shops and such. Spotted a couple places I will have to check out later. Madrid's the closest grocery store, too, so I'll be there off and on, I'm sure.
Back into Santa Fe for tea and internet, but had to stop at the newest library branch. Very nice, brand new, and more like what I'm used to. Checked out 4 books, then bought 2 at the Friends of the Library Bookstore on the way out. That should hold me for a week, right? I mean, it only took four hours to read Harry Potter, so I've got time for more!
Reading also helps me keep from worrying about the house thing. I am still in waiting mode (though Mercury gets out of his own shadow today, I think, and that should speed things up) and need to keep busy enough that I don't sabotage my own positive thinking. Face it, even with satellite, I can only watch so much TV...

You may also start seeing ads on my blog soon. I have signed up for Google AdSense, so click an ad if you can!
That's it for now! I'll keep y'all posted!

No comments: